Friday, November 25, 2005

Why I'm Fat

Brought to you from Hungary, where eating is the national sport. Imagine, if you will, that Thanksgiving lasts for two weeks, and that women can get off with eating only seconds, but a man who eats less than thirds is making significant comments about the quality of the dish on offer....















Why I'm fat, Chapter One: Turoscsusza, the dish my wife values more than our marriage.















Why I'm fat, Chapter Two. Home-baked sweets.















Why I'm fat, Chapter Three: Cheese and Onion Appetizer Plate.















Why I'm fat, Chapter Four: Stuffed Cabbage, sausage, potatoes, and cream.















Why I'm fat, Chapter Five: Fried Suckling Pig with Purple Cabbage and Stuffing.















Why I'm Fat, Chapter Six: "Pancakes," Hungarian-style. (A dozen and a half crepes thick with eggs and butter, with layers of jam in between each layer.)















Why I'm Fat, Chapter Seven: "Bird's Milk" (behind the pancakes)... heavy cream/pudding dessert, with the eggwhites cooked into happy puffs to go on top (far background).















Why I'm Fat, Chapter Eight: Baked Goose Legs.
















Why I'm Fat, Chapter Nine: Bacon-wrapped goose livers, baked with garlic.















Why I'm Fat, Chapter Ten: Dessert Pastries.

The more astute of my three regular readers will realize that several of these are courses within the same meal....

No comments: