Monday, July 11, 2005

Archery Update

Somebody send me three dozen shafts, spined for 80 pounds at 30 inches, with target heads, and no fletchings, okay?

No?
[fake sigh]Oh, well....

I am finally getting to where I can almost shoot reliably with my war bow. It's a pain keeping the bow completely motionless on the draw, especially since my ribs haven't quite gotten the strength and endurance they need for drawing the bow consistently. (That's right, Virginia... guess what happens if you "lay your body in the bow" and draw to the chest? You draw from the strength of the torso... )

But when I can actually keep good form, I'm rubbing shafts, and putting them, if not onto my target (currently a 4"x8" piece of junkmail from AmEx), close to, and my only serious vertical deviations are from bad releases.

I'm not ready for bow-hunting yet, especially given that I'm backyard shooting at 20'. But if my hundred-shafts-per-day program keeps up, I should hopefully be forced to back up another 10' soon in order to preserve the fletchings on my shafts.

In other words, go me!

No comments: